Monday, October 27, 2008

Papa

This past weekend my Papa passed away.

Papa was a loving, selfless, calm, and compassionate man. He was married to my Grammy for 58 years, and now she is without her other half.

We were able to spend this past weekend with my wonderful family who loves and cares for each other so much. When something bad happens, we all gather together and cuddle, cry, and love on each other. And when something good happens, we do the same.

I feel completely emotionally, mentally, and physically exhausted. I have 300 pages and 2 movies to watch for class on Wednesday in addition to three research papers I should be working on, but it all seems a little meaningless at this point.

There were so many things to be admired about my grandfather. He had the best arms to hold a baby. He was the most selfless husband the world will ever know. He wrote out prayers that he read at every major holiday, which without doubt made everyone laugh and cry. One time he called Matt and I "weapons of mass instruction," because we were both teaching at the time. There are a lot of loud women in my family, so often Papa had to be patient to get a word in, but when he did, he was always so insightful and funny. And he was very handsome too.

My Papa went to a funeral for a friend this past Tuesday, and as he was reflecting on his friend's life and the long list of accomplishments that were mentioned at the service, my Papa felt a little inadequate comparatively. But this weekend, as his wife, two remaining children, nine grandchildren, and five great-grandchildren were gathered in his house that was so full of love, it was clear that he had accomplished greatness in his life.

2 comments:

  1. As I sit here with tears in my eyes I can only think how blessed I am to have such a wonderful daughter. What a beautiful tribute to your Grandfather. Papa is looking down on you and writing his next blessing and talking about his wonderful granddaughter. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brooke, this is so beautiful. You have been such a comfort to me this week. i love you. mom

    ReplyDelete