Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Last Nicaragua Post

One thing about Nicaragua that has stayed with me since I left is the encounters I had with the children. They were everywhere there, and I couldn't help but constantly think that the only difference between those children and me are the circumstances we were born into. Clearly, not all of the children in Nicaragua were born into unfortunate circumstances, but many of them spend the majority of the time they are not in school selling things on the streets or simply begging for money. That is difficult to swallow and I still haven't figured out what to do with it. I posed the question in this earlier post, but really, what is a traveler to do? You may have thought that was a rhetorical question, but it wasn't. What I really am wondering is what are we as people supposed to do? I know that I am the type that will always carry a heavy heart and that feeling guilty doesn't help anyone, but really, what can we do?







1 comment:

  1. Hey guys,

    It seems you guys had a good time! can't wait to hear all about it. I am also, like you and carry a heavy heart when face with poverty.

    see you guys soon!

    ReplyDelete