Monday, July 27, 2009

Once Again an Equal Breadwinner

I found out this morning that I have a job.

I realize that I am incredibly lucky, and as I am a person who feels an abnormal amount of guilt for everything in life, I even feel guilty that I now have a job while I know so many people that have been searching for one for many months.

But despite that, I have a job that I couldn't be more excited about.

I entered into my master's program in Peace and Justice Studies after teaching high school for three years, hoping to be able to focus on education and how to incorporate issues of peace and justice into the high school classroom. Part of my personal statement for my application read:
"It is these epiphanies I see in my students that give me a desire to learn how to include peace and justice studies more into the high school curriculum. Currently, there is a lack of teaching about topics that are relevant to today’s culture and the concerns of students. Many students are interested in furthering peace and justice in their world, but they are unsure of what problems can be addressed as well as how to confront such ideas. I would like to create curriculum to teach students about peace and justice at a time in their lives when they hunger for knowledge and a desire to impact our world."

I didn't know if this would ever become a reality for me. Throughout my program, I wasn't sure that I wanted to go back to high school teaching, or that I really had a choice in the matter. Getting a high school teaching job is not easy even in a good economy, and with our state on the brink of bankruptcy, the opportunities out there are meager. And teaching in a public school doesn't always allow for numerous opportunities to incorporate peace and justice issues into the curriculum as one is often forced to stuff the CA state standards down the throats of the less-than-thrilled students (and we wonder why they are a little apathetic?).

My new job is at an alternative type of high school called High Tech High. I will be a 10th grade humanities teacher, focusing on world history and world literature. It is very cutting edge in education- it is project based more than test based, theme based more than fact based. They actually told me this morning as I met with other staff members, "You can really just teach your passions," obviously incorporated into the curriculum. They don't even have textbooks, so I really will be able to create curriculum that I am passionate about. And they are very interested in my master's degree, which is nice, considering in an interview with another school I applied for, they didn't ask me one thing about it.

There you have it. I will be leaving the world of studentdom and entering the world of the working. I start work on August 10 and begin teaching on August 31, so the end of summer is quickly escaping my grasp... but I already have butterflies in my stomach because I am excited for the next season of life.

3 comments:

  1. Welcome home and congratulations!!! The new job sounds perfect! Can't wait to see you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah Brooke!!! So happy for you and proud too. mom

    ReplyDelete