Sunday, May 20, 2012

New recipes// April.

Recipe posts aren't the most exciting, but documenting my journey of trying to make one new recipe a week actually holds me accountable, so it's useful to me. I've never been one who loves to cook, but I have to admit that it's been kind of fun trying to make new, easy, usually healthy, affordable recipes and adapting them for ourselves based on what we have in the house or what we like to eat. It's also nice to cook a new recipe together each week, kind of like a little date night in itself.

****

Recipe one: mushroom and broccoli mac and cheese

Commentary: Any recipe with mushrooms cooked in a wine sauce has my heart... seriously. So I loved this one. We kind of strayed from the recipe, using whole wheat spiral pasta noodles, small mushrooms, broccoli instead of peas (because I like them better), and we didn't use potato starch. It turned out delicious. Not the healthiest of recipes, but mighty tasty.

Recipe from nomeatathlete.com. See recipe here.

****

Recipe two: vegetable (basil, onion, cauliflower, tomato, cabbage) soup with quinoa

Commentary: This was an easy to make, flavorful, and healthy meal. Can't go wrong with that combination.

From nomeatathlete.com. See recipe here.

****

Recipe three: pasta salad with whatever you have in the house (my recipe included cooked whole wheat spiral noodles, broccoli, halved grape tomatoes, Kalamata olives, artichoke hearts, goat cheese, salt, pepper, and Italian dressing)

Commentary: I created this recipe for dinner one night based on what we had in our fridge and cupboards. It was easy and delicious, and really could include any ingredients you have.

****

New cocktail recipe of the month: Bourbon Sidecar (2 ounces bourbon, 1 ounce triple sec, squeeze of lemon juice)

Commentary: Perfect for these warm San Diego evenings we've been having lately; a dangerously delicious drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment