Friday, September 7, 2012

Taking a moment to breathe.

It's Friday afternoon of the second week of school, and I needed to take a moment to be alone and just breathe. Even though this is my seventh year teaching, every year is new... new faces, new minds, new opportunities, new goals, new dreams, new young people to love. Every year I forget how exhausting all of this newness is for me. At the end of each long day, I am depleted. I fall asleep as soon as my head touches the pillow, only to wake up a few hours later with insomnia, thinking about my to do list, over-analyzing little conversations with students, wondering if I'm making a good first impression. And then I run into my students from past years in the hallways or in my office when they come to visit, and we reminisce, and I know that this year will be the same too... that soon I will have that family feel in my classroom with these new students, that it will all be okay, and that it will probably be amazingly beyond my expectations, because my job is to empower young people, and I can't thing of a more beautiful thing than that. 

(photo of the sunset, as seen from our house one night this week)

No comments:

Post a Comment