Saturday, September 9, 2017

A family date.// Coming out of a challenging season.


I stepped away from journaling for a few months and have just recently gotten back into it, because May to August were some really challenging months for me personally.

During that time, I mustered up all of the positive thinking I could. I tried to “fake it till you make it," and while I was working hard on faking it, I was surely not making it. I tried to focus on the good and practice gratitude, and yet still found joy elusive. It’s just been a really challenging season, but I feel like I am finally coming through it and feeling like myself again.

Two things that kept me going are family dates and photography, both of which have been a gift to me during this challenging season. I love documenting life through photographs and I love going on family dates. All I can figure out moving forward is that I should keep doing what I like doing and let go of the things in life that I don’t like doing. I’m hoping with more of that, the joy will come.

I happened upon this quote from Ranier Maria Rilke's Letters to a Young Poet this week, and it really touched me with the struggles I've had this summer season: "So you must not be frightened if a sadness rises up before you, greater than any you have ever seen before; or if a disquiet plays over your hands and over all your doings like light and cloud-shadow. You must think that something is happening with you, that life has not forgotten you, that it holds you in its hand; it will not let you fall. Why do you want to shut out of your life any uneasiness, any miseries, or any depressions? For after all, you do not know what work these conditions are doing inside you.”

I have hope that there is some greater purpose and lessons to be had in the challenges of life. 
Dancing with my boy:

No comments:

Post a Comment